The Best Lab Software: Flexible and Comprehensive LIS Solutions for Clinical and Pathology Labs
Why Do Laboratories Need Laboratory-Specific Information Systems?
Every modern laboratory, anatomical and clinical, wants to grow and thrive, but that goal is easily hindered by outdated, non-integrated laboratory information systems that fail to meet the needs of rapidly evolving laboratory environments.
What is LIS?
LIS stands for Laboratory Information System, a laboratory information software that has become a common part of the data infrastructure of advanced healthcare systems, busy medical laboratories, and hospitals.
Inside labs, laboratory information system software manages the data flow of information, including various lab processes, such as recording, updating, and storing patient-related data, along with sample tracking, and reports management.
LigoLab offers comprehensive and enterprise-grade laboratory information systems software, the cornerstone of which is its powerful and flexible LIS & RCM Operating Platform that includes a LIS module designed to improve laboratory processes and data management for pathology groups, clinical laboratories, and molecular diagnostics laboratories.
How Does LIS Software Work?
LigoLab’s information system platform comprehensively manages a laboratory’s data needs by connecting and integrating all departments and lab processes on one united laboratory information software infrastructure with a common database. This removes information silos and ensures clinical data integrity for every department, enabling laboratories to operate more efficiently, differentiate themselves in the marketplace, scale their operations, and become more profitable.
If you're searching for a solution that guards against lost specimens and leverages automation, streamlined workflows, and best practices to maximize throughput and drive up revenue, you're in the right place. The next step is to fill out this form and schedule a live LigoLab software demonstration that's tailored to address the unique needs of your laboratory: LIGOLAB DEMO FORM
How Does Modern Laboratory Information System Software Differ from Legacy Systems?
Legacy laboratory information system software often lack the flexibility, automation, and interoperability needed to fully support technical operations, improve patient outcomes, expand lab testing services, and increase collections of individual laboratories. Common LIS problems that create pain points and prevent growth include:
- Issues with reliability and performance
- Insufficient functionality (lacking modules and features)
- Lack of scalability (current LIS system can’t keep up with demand)
- Difficult to configure (requires external vendor support)
- Legacy report formats and delivery options that don’t cater to customer needs
- Inefficient workflows and time-consuming manual processes
- Specimen handling and tracking workflows that lack a robust chain of custody, uniquely barcoded specimens, and verification and specimen security check-points
- Information on processes, bottlenecks, and compliance is difficult to access
- Need for intradepartmental and external (EMR/EHRs, APIs, instruments, state registries, billing services) interoperability
What’s the Difference Between LIS and Laboratory Information Management Systems?
A Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) caters to non-clinical laboratory settings, such as a research environment. LIMS is designed to deal with big and complex data generated by large-sized industries. LIMS-generated data is typically used in maintenance, operations, and product development decision-making. LIMS is more expensive and complex to configure than LIS. LIMS and LIS have different regulatory bodies to comply with.
LIS is custom-designed for clinical settings and patient care. With LigoLab’s LIS software solution, healthcare users enjoy a future-ready and scalable platform that’s infinitely configurable to meet the specific needs of the customer, no matter the size of the lab. The module can quickly adapt to add more physicians and/or laboratory personnel, interfaces, and services as LIS laboratory operations expand. Users benefit from improved operational workflows, reduced labor costs, and increased revenue and profit by:
- Managing all departments and operations on one LIS lab system with no data silos
- Automating complex processes and reducing manual touchpoints
- Market differentiation to expand services and acquire new business
- Maximizing interoperability and efficiency
- Eliminating human errors and lost specimens
- Producing fully customizable reports
- Providing multiple options for report delivery
- Monitoring quality control to quickly identify, troubleshoot, and resolve problems
- Improving lab testing turnaround times
- Obtaining easily accessible business analytics (dashboards, stats, dynamic reports) from every department in real-time
Additionally, when paired with LigoLab RCM, laboratories gain the ability to start the billing cycle at order inception with the support of verification, eligibility, and scrubbing components that increase clean claim submissions, revenue, and accounts receivables, and decrease claim denials and compliance risk.
Are LIS System Updates, Support, and Maintenance Standard from Vendor to Vendor?
The modern LIS system is continuously under development and leading software vendors in this space rightfully give the lab full control in terms of when a given update takes place.
As an example, LigoLab’s approach to upgrades combines ongoing and speedy development (new features are literally developed and released daily) with a deployment schedule based on the customer’s best interests. LigoLab accomplishes this by providing its customers stable and supported versions of the platform in a Production environment, while also maintaining two additional environments.
New features are developed and automatically rolled out to all customers via a Test environment. This gives users early access so they can familiarize themselves with the latest new features. With additional access to the Train environment, customers are able to train, test, and validate updates on their schedule before they are pushed to the Production environment.
LigoLab releases four feature versions annually while at the same time supporting all previous versions deployed to customer Production environments, and every single update to the platform undergoes strict validation and regression testing before its release.
Upgrade and Enhance Critical Areas with LigoLab’s Laboratory Information Software
From accessioning, to specimen handling and tracking, to reporting and collections, the LigoLab LIS & RCM Operating Platform both supports and tech-enables all departmental processes at every stage.
Real-Time Order Validation
LigoLab makes it possible to access the accurate information needed for a smooth and productive billing workflow at order entry. That’s where data verification and scrubbing components are shared by both the LIS and RCM modules, and real-time patient and payer data verification, coverage lookup, and eligibility tools are seamlessly integrated into a live queue-facilitated workflow that provides a high level of transparency and prevents claim rejections and denials.
- Demographic check, address validation, insurance discovery, and eligibility verification at order inception
- Bidirectional synchronization with third-party services (mailing companies, clearinghouses, NPI Registry, payment processors)
- Automated ICD and CPT coding and TC/PC splitting
- Real-time data processing workflow queues for heightened visibility
- Detailed statistical reports to monitor trends and KPIs
Additionally, LigoLab supports the management of client contracts by providing extensive functionality and customization for client billing, including options like unlimited fee schedules, discounting, special pricing, capitation, incremental pricing, and automatic travel and transportation pricing.
Specimen Management and Patient Safety
Error-free specimen management is vital for all medical laboratories and should be expected from the best lab software. The LigoLab platform assigns each specimen a unique identifier, ensuring the chain of custody and security of the specimen and virtually eliminating lost or misplaced orders by:
- Integration with all barcode printing and etching hardware
- Automatic generation of a unique identifier for every specimen and document
- Full traceability of specimens with an awareness of the next step in the workflow
- Users can track both beginning and end times for processing
- Automatic detection of duplicate patient profiles at order entry
Highly Customizable Lab Reports
LigoLab allows users to create fully customizable and intelligent lab reports with the platform’s high-performance reporting and distribution engine that features rule-based formatting and uniform presentation. The report generation engine supports the full rich-text capability (format, size, colors, highlights, tables, bullet points, etc.), as well as images, diagrams, annotation, macros, conditional rules, dictation to text, and CAP cancer protocol templates, plus automated distribution that fulfills the customer’s preference. Delivery options include provider portal, outreach software, EMR/EHR, fax, secure email, in-house printing, PDF drops, APIs, IVR, SMS, and remote print server.
- Standardized report structure based on industry trends
- Custom template format for client satisfaction and co-branding
- Integrated reports for time-saving efficiency
- Cumulative reports for patient safety and continuity
- Automated distribution based on customer preference
Remote Access for Orders and Results Retrieval
Medical practitioners and laboratory specialists can now leverage the LigoLab Connect feature that enables remote interaction between the client and the laboratory. Users can receive and search for reports, pull cumulative charts, fax out of the system, and gain access to all patient-related scanned documents.
- Free and easy to install with unlimited licensing for downloads
- A secure internet application that serves as an extension of the business
- No third-party outreach or middleware software is needed
- Can be laboratory branded with company logos
- Reduce incoming customer service calls with self-service tools for inventory management and access to scanned documents
The TestDirectly Direct-to-Consumer Web Portal (D2C) is the latest addition to the LigoLab platform. The portal removes the manual order entry and follow-up bottlenecks and creates a streamlined electronic workflow for specimen collection, lab testing, and reporting that boosts testing capacity and improves turnaround times.
- Integration with all LIS laboratory and RCM billing systems resulting in efficient laboratory management reporting
- Increased testing accessibility that opens new revenue streams
- The patient self-registers and schedules the collection appointment
- Support for live insurance eligibility checks and HRSA submission
- Specimen barcoding and tracking support
- Report delivery via email, SMS, portal, or interface
- Automated result notification for patients via email and/or SMS
- Real-time results and analytics for the patient, provider, employer, and public health
- Support for drive-through and on-site sample collections, and back-to-work and organizational testing
LigoLab’s laboratory information software platform features an open architecture and a best-in-class interface engine that functions with maximum interoperability, enabling LigoLab LIS to connect to a majority of analyzers (over 500 different instrument types), EMRs (connected with every certified Electronic Medical Record and Electronic Health Record [EHR]), and third-party services with ease. This includes internal networking (LIS/RCM) as well as connections with external networks of healthcare organizations, such as billing services, the Tumor Registry, and state reporting agencies.
LigoLab’s proprietary interface engine supports all standard interchange protocols, including API, FHIR, HL7, X12, XML, Flat File, and ASTM, and more.
LigoLab’s LIS Automates Complex Processes and Reduces Human Intervention
LigoLab designed its rule engine to give users the ability to substitute inefficient and manual laboratory processes with conditional rules and actions that can be built without custom scripts, and that fire when certain conditions are met. These rules and actions are strung together as decision support trees by the automation engine that resides within the LIS system.
- An agile platform that automates laboratory processes so that laboratory staff may be reassigned to more productive roles
- High-visibility and real-time workflow queues for clinical data
- Flexible rule engine for optimal automation
- Multi-layered workflow management control
Regulatory Compliance that isn't Labor-Intensive
To minimize compliance risk, LigoLab offers a variety of specialized tools that reduce both audit risk and revenue loss without being labor-intensive. Users can effectively operate within the guidelines of CAP, CLIA, HIPAA, and other regulatory bodies to mitigate compliance concerns and avoid penalties.
- Compliance-conscious workflows and reports
- Ad hoc data query capabilities
- Support for all established regulatory protocols
- Compliance verification at every stage
A Safe and Secure LIS Laboratory Platform
LigoLab offers advanced security and privacy features that protect both laboratory and patient data.
- Automatic log-off for user inactivity
- A robust and searchable audit trail that logs every activity
- User permission and visibility control
The LigoLab Commitment - We Help Labs Grow and Thrive
From Latin, “Ligo” means to unite or connect, and that’s precisely what LigoLab Information System does for its laboratory partners, turning them into information-driven, connected, and thriving businesses with its enterprise healthcare software solutions.
LigoLab empowers laboratories nationwide to run their data management operations transparently and efficiently, providing turnkey and agile LIS software solutions designed to meet the diverse needs of all diagnostic disciplines including molecular, clinical, and anatomic pathology laboratories.
LigoLab supports and streamlines the complete life-cycle of all cases, enabling laboratories to differentiate themselves in the marketplace and transform their operations and finances. The LigoLab LIS & RCM Operating Platform is intuitive and easy to learn, accessible from anywhere at any time, and constantly evolving, with new features and enhancements added to the platform every day.
This comprehensive LigoLab platform is powered by laboratory information software that’s internet-enabled, can be hosted on a local server or in the cloud, and runs on any operating system anywhere around the world with no need for VPN connections.
Security is built-in throughout the LigoLab platform, which has been designed to support high volume and complex testing labs with one to dozens of facilities, in multiple states, and in multiple time zones.
With LigoLab, there is no longer a need to interface with data silos or stand-alone systems. Instead of the finger-pointing and headaches that come when interfacing with multiple software systems, users enjoy end-to-end clinical data integrity that no longer requires synchronization or middleware.
Through domain expertise, best practices, and constant customer feedback and analysis, business-savvy lab operators benefit from a lab information system that automates workflows, increases productivity, and positions them to scale quickly.
LigoLab is a privately-owned company that’s headquartered in Los Angeles. Since 2006, its mission has been to develop dynamic and diverse LIS software solutions for laboratories, helping them expand services and add revenue sources as they grow and thrive.
Have you scheduled your live LigoLab software demonstration? Start the process by filling out this form: LIGOLAB DEMO FORM