Not All LIS Systems Are Created Equally
November 21, 2023
All clinical laboratories or pathology practices operationally processing north of 100 cases per day likely already know and understand the value of good and functional Laboratory Information Systems (LIS).
As a reminder, here’s a quick summary of the benefits that come with implementing LIS systems in medical laboratories.
How Laboratory Information Systems Benefit Clinical Laboratory Workflow
- Centralized Data Management - The LIS system helps clinical laboratories effectively manage and analyze data by providing a centralized informatics platform for storage and retrieval. With LIS software (also often referred to as pathology lab software), data is captured and stored automatically, reducing the risk of errors associated with manual data entry. The lab information system organizes data in a way that is easily accessible for laboratory staff, enabling them to quickly retrieve and use it for analysis and informed decision-making.
- Improved Quality Control - Advanced LIS system software includes quality control features that help ensure the accuracy and consistency of laboratory test results. The LIS system automatically flags any results that fall outside of specified parameters (reference ranges), reducing the risk of errors and false test results. This helps to ensure that laboratory results are accurate and reliable, which is critical for patient care.
- Streamlined Workflow - The medical LIS integrates all aspects of laboratory operations, including specimen processing, analysis, and test result reporting, allowing medical laboratory technologists to work more efficiently and effectively. The LIS system provides real-time data and status updates, making it easier for laboratory personnel to track the progress of tests and samples, reducing the risk of errors and delays.
- Compliance Assurance - A healthcare LIS helps clinical laboratories meet regulatory requirements and standards, such as CLIA and HIPAA. The LIS system provides comprehensive reporting and audit trails, making it easier for laboratories to demonstrate compliance with regulatory standards. This helps to reduce the risk of fines and other penalties associated with non-compliance.
- Better Patient Outcomes - By improving the accuracy and reliability of laboratory test results, a laboratory information system helps to ensure that patients receive the best possible medical care. The LIS system software enables physicians and other healthcare providers to make informed decisions based on accurate and up-to-date patient information, which can significantly improve patient outcomes.
The above is a good baseline of what laboratory operators should expect from their laboratory information systems, but this is by no means a complete list, and, as you may have guessed, not all LIS systems are created equal.
So how does a modern LIS system differ from a legacy LIS system? Read this blog post to find out.
At LigoLab, we build dynamic and modern laboratory information systems that offer lab operators unlimited flexibility in setup. Our LIS software platform features thousands of configurable entities that give clinical labs and pathology groups the ability to quickly introduce new tests, results, reports, and fields. Key laboratory workflow features include a custom scripting language, a flagging subsystem, rule and automation engines, a proprietary interface engine, and much more.
In today’s laboratory environment, efficiency is critical. Without it, the laboratory will not only fail to reach its financial goals but will also be exposed to numerous external threats to the business (labor shortages, rising operational costs, and falling margins).
Rest assured that LigoLab understands that implementing the right LIS system for your laboratory is mission-critical. You need to get it right the first time. That’s why we offer a super-efficient pathology information system and don’t stop there. We take it even further with a development team that’s second to none. What this means for you and your lab is assurance that when partnering with LigoLab, you’ll never have to worry about outgrowing an outdated LIS system.
Our talented team of engineers develops 2-4 new features and enhancements for our lab customers daily, and our engineers and company leadership openly accept development requests and suggestions to add to the next version of the LIS software. What’s more, we routinely deploy features with a turnaround measured in days rather than weeks. How many LIS vendors can match that pace?
Also, when we say ‘partnership’ we mean it in the truest sense of that word. We don’t just sell you a laboratory information system and wish you good luck. Rather, we support you and keep you informed of the latest developments and we encourage you to regularly update your pathology lab reporting software to ensure access to the latest enhancements and added features.
Because of this, we find that quarterly webinars and annual user group meetings with our user base are especially useful. In fact, we regularly host user group conferences to unveil all the new enhancements and features that have recently been added to the laboratory information system, laboratory revenue cycle management, and direct-to-consumer lab testing modules.
In conclusion, although it’s well understood that lab information systems are an essential tool for modern laboratories that aim to improve efficiency, accuracy, and reliability, not all LIS systems are alike so it’s imperative to ask the right questions when evaluating LIS software.
LigoLab: We Help Labs Modernize and Become More Efficient and Profitable
LigoLab is an award-winning provider of innovative end-to-end healthcare software for pathology laboratories, servicing 200+ facilities nationwide. As a comprehensive enterprise-grade solution, the LigoLab LIS & RCM Laboratory Informatics Platform™ includes modules for anatomic pathology, clinical pathology, molecular diagnostics, revenue cycle management, and direct-to-consumer, all on one powerful and integrated informatics platform that supports every role, every department, and every case. LigoLab empowers laboratories to better serve patients, differentiate themselves in the marketplace, scale their operations and become more compliant, and more profitable.